Updated on 7th September 2018 at 11:13 am


How to get healthcare advice and assistance when the practice is closed

  • If you need medical help fast but it’s not an emergency call 111
  • If it’s a life-threatening emergency call 999

Calls to 111 are FREE from landlines and mobiles and are available 24/7, 365 days per year.

When to call 111

  • you think you need to go to A&E or to another NHS urgent care service
  • your GP surgery is closed and you need healthcare advice
  • you don’t know who to call for medical help.

When to call 999

Call 999 for life threatening emergencies such as:

  • Major accident or trauma
  • Severe breathlessness
  • Severe bleeding
  • Loss of consciousness
  • Severe chest pain.

During normal practice opening hours, the practice remains your first point of contact for all routine requests.

For more information about NHS 111

How do I choose a hospital if I am referred to a specialist?

If you and your GP decide that you need to see a specialist for further treatment, you can now choose where to have your treatment from a list of hospitals or clinics. Please discuss with your GP or if you want to find out more – further information is available on the NHS website.

How do I register with the practice

Please contact the practice to arrange to collect registration papers. Alternatively print out a copy of the  Registration document (GMS1) and New patient questionnaire

Any new patients wishing to register with Park Road Medical Practice will be asked to provide proof of their identity and address. This is to ensure we are doing everything we can to protect our patients and prevent fraud within the NHS.

How do I arrange a home visit?

Please try to come to the surgery if possible (the doctor can see three – four patients at the surgery in the time it takes him/her to visit one patient at home). Home visits are mainly for those patients who are too ill to come to the surgery and for elderly patients who are housebound. The doctor will discuss this with you.

If you require medical attention and are unable to travel to the surgery then please try to phone before 10.30 am and give the receptionist some indication of your problem – this will enable the doctors to plan rounds and give priority to the more urgent cases.

Why do I need a “medication review”?

Making sure that you are on the right medication is an important part of looking after your health and is a partnership with your doctors, practice nurses and your local pharmacist. We recommend that you have at least an annual review of your medication around the time of your birthday. This will usually be with the practice nurse (Sister Rogers) or the healthcare assistant (Mrs Cairns) who will carry out the routine checks. If there are any problems these will be discussed with your usual doctor.  For some reviews you will need to see a doctor and in some cases it is possible to carry out your review by telephone rather than by coming in to the practice.

We believe that it is very important that you understand why you are taking your medication and what checks you need to have on a regular basis to maintain your health.  We can give you a list of your current health problems and medications that we have recorded for you. This information is also available to you on-line and we recommend that you register for on-line access and order your repeat medication this way.  Please let the doctor, nurse of pharmacist know if there is any information anything you don’t understand.

Looking after your health is more than just carrying out a medication review. We want to find out what matters to you not just what is the matter with you. This means finding out what is most important for you as an individual and will be different for each person.

How do I get test results?

We do not routinely inform you of results but ask you to ring the practice about a week after a test. The receptionists will inform you of the result and whether you need to see or discuss the result with the doctor or nurse. Please ring after 2.00 pm if possible.

How do I book an ambulance?

Patient transport services (PTS) provides free transport to and from hospital or NHS provider for:

  • patients with a medical need for transport
  • escorts for patients who have a medical need for an escort

If you have received notification to attend a hospital appointment please ring 0191 6500560 to book your ambulance transport.

Further information with respect to ambulance bookings is available.

Where can I find information regarding my NHS number?

Everyone registered with the NHS in England and Wales has their own NHS number. This is different to your national insurance number. Further information can be located on the NHS website.

Where can I find information about my summary care record?

If you decide to have a summary care record it will contain important information about any medicines you are taking, allergies you suffer from and any bad reactions to medicines you have had.

Giving healthcare staff access to this information can prevent mistakes being made when caring for you in an emergency or when your GP practice is closed.

Your summary care record will also include your name, address, date of birth and your unique NHS number to help identify you correctly.

You may want to add other details about your care to your summary care record. This will only happen if you ask for the information to be included. You should discuss this with healthcare staff treating you.

Further information can be located from the following:

What do I do if I want to opt out of my  confidential patient information being used for research and planning?

You may use the online service, or request a print-and-post form, to make or change your choice at any time. You can also request assistance or make your choice contacting  NHS Digital Contact Centre telephone service. If you do not wish to opt out, you don’t have to do anything at all.

You can also manage a choice on behalf of another individual by proxy. For example, if you are a parent or guardian of a child under the age of 13.  For further information and to opt out visit find out why your data matters on the NHS website.

How do I make a complaint?

We hope you are happy with the services provided at our surgery. If you wish to comment or make any suggestions for improving the services, please bring it to the attention of the practice manager. Complaints can be made verbally or in writing.  A copy of our complaints leaflet is available.

If you require any help or advice about making your complaint the Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) can help. You can find details of who to contact via our links page.